When the Hubs and I were out doing errands a few weeks ago I asked him to take me by the feed store before we went home because I needed to buy some chicken wire. (Yes, because Portland is surrounded by small communities and rural areas there is a feed store here in the city!)
After looking at me like I had finally lost my mind he asked me something to the effect of, “What are you up to now?”
To which I replied something to the effect of, “Oh, I just have a little project up my sleeve.”
Good guy that he is, he took me to the feed store.
I was thinking that you can buy chicken wire by the yard, you know, like fabric at the fabric store. Uhhh, no you can’t. You have to buy a roll of it. And let me tell you, unrolling it is like wrestling a very pokey octopus. Maybe there’s a chicken wire “buy it by the yard” place and a better way to unroll and cut it that I’m not privy too.
Anyway, my project idea involved a little drying rack, (another Goodwill find), and the aforementioned chicken wire and a staple gun. I didn’t bargain for two things…the unruliness of the chicken wire, and the hardness of the wood that the drying rack was made of. The staples bent rather than penetrated the wood. I was about to give up, and actually felt frustrated to the point of tears. This project had cost more in time, effort and money, (because of having to buy a whole roll of chicken wire), than I had bargained for. Surprisingly, the Hubs, the one who does not always “get” my weird creative frenzies, or rustic décor tendencies, said, “Don’t give up! You need to follow through and finish when you have an idea.” That gave me the encouraging boost I needed. A hammer and some upholstery tacks did the trick where the staples failed. And now, a long empty wall where the hallway meets my living room has a little somethin’ hanging on it.
Happy Friday Everyone!
Oh, and if you are in desperate need of some chicken wire, I’m your gal!