It was a Mom moment, a NOT GOOD Mom moment. You see, every year our family has a beautiful Christmas tradition of dressing up, and going downtown to hear the Oregon Symphony's Gospel Christmas...the beauty of the orchestra teamed with choir members from various churches singing joyous praise to Jesus in the heart of downtown Portland is WONDERFUL.
This year it was extra important to me, this family tradition, since our youngest will be moving away after the holidays. But the family just couldn't seem to get it together. The symphony was performing for three nights, but only one of the nights were we all available. However, by the time we all coordinated our schedules the only tickets left were so far back in the balcony, it was pointless to go. Me and my already overwhelmed feelings, (I am VERY happy when all my little chicks and grandchickies stay close to the nest, and very emotional when they leave), had a meltdown. This year, of all years, the tradition was important to me...before youngest chick flew the coop. I had the mother of all meltdowns...accompanied by racking sobs. Husband looked like a deer caught in the headlights. I think even our daughters were a might freaked out...I am not normally overcome by hysterical crying fits. They came to the rescue, and it ended up, that although hubby and the sons-in-law couldn't attend, myself and our girls and oldest grandaughter were able to. It was a beautiful night with my girls. I'm thankful to God, and to my family, for their grace extended to this hysterical mom, and for a very, very special night. (Gratitude #171)
Also thankful for...
161) An afternoon with oldest grandaughter-going to Costco, baking cookies, watching White Christmas
162) Family dinner, followed by laughter with my daughters in the car going to my niece-in-laws house
163) Hearing my hubby on the baby monitor singing to baby grandaughter and praying with her
164) Having hot Vietnamese pho soup with my husband, daughter and son-in-law on a cold, cold, day
165) My sister and I taking our 84 year old mama for a pedicure
166) Buying the traditional yearly Christmas pjs for the grandbabies
167) Getting to see baby grandaugher have her photo with Santa
168) A surprise from hubby, "just to cheer me up"
169) God's necessary correction..."whom He loves He disciplines..."